Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 19:24:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: porting to EB64+ / Alpine

As Doug Rabson wrote...
> On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > As Doug Rabson wrote...
[snip]
> > Somewhat related question: I would appreciate the output of SHOW CONF
> > of a genuine EB64+. My Aspen Alpine is different enough to make this
> > interesting.
>
> I imagine that SRM had enabled a few pci interrupts for booting and this
> is what was interrupting.  Most of the platform code (e.g.
> dec_st550.c) disables all the interrupts that it doesn't know about to
> avoid this.

The Alpine is running now. But I have a strange phenomenon during boot.
The system once booted is stable as far as I can see (will hammer on it
tonite).

But:

Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
ncr0: <ncr 53c810 fast10 scsi> rev 0x01 int a irq 7 on pci0.5.0
de0: <Digital 21040 Ethernet> rev 0x23 int a irq 0 on pci0.6.0
de0: DEC 21040 [10Mb/s] pass 2.3
/dev/rda1e: 25123 files, 521572 used, 281649 free (40825 frags, 30103
blocks, 5.1% fragmentation)
          Doing initial network setup: hostname.
                                                de0:
flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
                                inet 192.168.200.10 netmask 0xffffff00
broadcast 192.168.200.255
                ether 00:00:f8:20:7f:45
                                                media: autoselect
(10baseT/UTP) status: active
        supported media: autoselect 10base5/AUI manual 10baseT/UTP
<full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP
     lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
                                                                inet
127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

           add ne   <etc etc>

Notice the odd output after the fsck line. This is exactly what I get
on the console, it seems the CR is missing. Really weird. Anybody seen this
before?

And a related problem: on _some_ system boots I get a 'stuttering' output.
So, the bootmessages appear in fragments, about 1 fragment a second.
And in the end the whole thing hangs multiple times for 20-30 seconds,
before printing the console login: In the end it gets to login:

It seems that this happens if I halt FreeBSD, and then do a boot from the
SRM _without_ hitting the reset button first.

It looks like if something needs to get whacked on the head first, something
a reset apparantly provides. I suspect this has something to do with
interrupt handling. Suggestions are as always welcome.

Wilko