Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:57:39 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FICL and setting BTX variables

> > >       * Right now, all builtins return 1 if no error happened, 0
> > > otherwise (btw, Jordan, ANS specifies all bits 1 as the "true" value
> > > :). It is my intention to change this behavior. In fact, I have
> > > already submitted the patches. If I have it my way, errors will use
> > > THROW instead.
> >
> > I can live with all that - we're not tied to the builtin return values
> > being anything specific, they were chosen arbitrarily.
>
> Well, kern/9412, if you want. :-)

This is something I think that you Forthies need to sort out; I'm happy
with however you chose to bind Forth and C together, just as long as
you pick a method and get to it.

> Yup. So he did. (Do I need to mention I do have other PRs open
> concerning the loader? kern/9371, misc/9373 (these two go together),
> kern/9398 (this one requires making a choice, I realize), and
> kern/9406 (well, this one can easily go ages ignored :), just in
> case you were waiting for the numbers :).

I'm not sure about the whole softwords/help text munging thing.  Using
Perl scripts is bad for various reasons, but I'm not sure that I want
to go to having committed generated files (like the kernel uses) or the
other way to compiled special-purpose tools.  Anyone handy with awk
want to try fixing these - both would probably succumb to the awesome
power of awk.

The other three are down, thanks.

> > >       * Right now (yeah, I'm emphasizing it :), EVALUATE doesn't work
> > > according to specs. It will silently ignore the count passed, and
> > > say, I hope :-), I intend to fix this too. Alas, I haven't submitted
> > > this patch yet. Anyway, if you want to create strings to be
> >
> > Aye! :)
>
> Yeah, this one won't live another night. At least in *my* tree. :-)

Remember to mail me the PR number.