Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:56:15 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        tugrul@ianai.BlackSun.org (Tugrul)
Cc:        axl@iafrica.com, bright@hotjobs.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD beyond the 1024th cylinder

Tugrul wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> > On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:37:21 EST, Tugrul wrote:
> >
> > > 	None of the boot blocks understand what a elf kernel is afaik. [...]
> > > 	The booting tools in general need a major update for elf, I wish I
> > > knew how to help :/
> >
> > You could help by not posting false information to the mailing lists. :)
> >
> > The new bootloader knows about both ELF and AOUT kernels. Just have a
> > look at recent archives for this mailing list for verification.
>
> 	afaik = I didn't declare it, just as far as I know :-) I based it
> on all the "Invalid Kernel" errors I get when I attempt to load it
> directly. I'll scan through the mailing lists again... try is quite a lot
> of volume :-)

Booting FreeBSD beyond cylinder 1023 is not currently supported.

Support, by way of the IBM/Microsoft int 0x13 extensions, was
present in the new bootblocks a few months ago but was removed:
too many BIOSes don't implement this stuff properly.

Unless you patch the boot code youself, you must ensure that your
kernel resides completely below cylinder 1024.  Just sticking
/boot/loader on a floppy is not going to help in the least.

As regards the cylinder > 1023 issue, you can save yourself some
time by regarding the above information as definitive.

All the current booting tools (see src/sys/boot) do support both
a.out and ELF.  This applies both to the bootblocks (boot1 and
boot2) and to /boot/loader.

--
Robert Nordier