Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:05:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forward all spam to UCE@FTC.GOV

In reply:
> This sort of forwarding facility should be an option; do not make it
> default!  FreeBSD is used not only in US, but also all over the world,
> you know.  I don't think FTC would in any way like to deal with spams
> outside of US.
>
> Kazu
>
> >On Jan 13,  7:36pm, Jim Bryant wrote:
> >} Subject: Forward all spam to UCE@FTC.GOV
> >} This announcement is located on the Federal Trade Commission's
> >} complaint form page http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/complaint.htm
> >}
> >} ------------------
> >} If you would like to forward unsolicited commercial e-mail (spam) to
> >} the Commission, please send it directly to UCE@FTC.GOV without using
> >} this form.
> >} ------------------
> >}
> >} Could this be added to sendmail.cf somehow by default?  maybe as a
> >} comment?  Maybe as some kind of autoforwarder in spam filtering?
> >
> >This would also forward non UCE spam (religious, revenge spams, etc.)
> >as well as any false positives that tripped the spam filter.  Also,
> >not all UCE type spams are best reported to the UCE address.  Stock
> >spams should be reported to the SEC, and quack medicines should be
> >reported to the FDA.  I also think that overstuffing the FTC mailbox
> >may make them less effective at whacking the spammers that need it
> >the most.

i understand your point of view, even though I disagree with it to an
extent.

the ftc must be made aware of all spam terminating in the us.  the sec
and fda are secondary recipients in all cases, the ftc handles trade
issues, and has the authority to forward to other agencies for further
actions.

regulation, on a worldwide scale, is only a matter of when, not if.
that time is probably going to come a lot faster than a lot of people
think.  IMHO, it should have been done five years ago when the abusers
started showing up in force.

all internationally originated or relayed spam is just as important so
as to intelligently allow the state department here to draft new, and
more effective telecommunications treaties that could potentially
punish countries who don't take spam seriously.

having an autoforwarder forward all spam to the ftc address, including
false positives, can only help our government realize the extent of
the problem, and the state of the technologies that currently attempt
to fight it.

also, we need isps to get a bit more responsible.  if you identify a
local high-volume spammer, hire a dump truck, buy a load of manure,
and dump it on the front yard of the spammer's home/business.  call it
freedom of speech, they do.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or