Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:48:47 +0000
From:      Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>
To:        Gabor Kincses <gabor@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: end of 2.2-stable support and the future of ports

> Jerry Hicks wrote:
> >
> > Not to fear...  They'll be available from the CVS repository until
> > we hear otherwise.
> >
> > You'll start to experience bitrot though, as the software the ports
> > handle advances through its own evolution.
>
> Well, yes, but the distfiles don't really change.  I mean there will be
> newer versions, but the names tend to be different (new version numbers
> usually).

Right, but as the older versions begin to become unmaintained expect
the patches and scripts to bitrot WRT the new distfiles.

> > If you're really concerned, do what we've done and archive the repo
> > and tarballs from the here and now for possible future use.
>
> I have a 340MB drive in one of my machines.  The others have maybe a
> couple hundred megs, tops.  I'm sure all that stuff is more.  BTW, how
> big is it as of 2.2.8?

Pretty big for everything.  You'd need about 4GB for the repo and all
of the distfiles.  Add about another GB if you want to spin your own
releases.  Of course you'll also need room to build and install these.

That's about $200 worth of hard disks these days.  If you can't afford
one and have need of some archival bits in the future, feel free to
drop me a line as I'll be keeping these indefinitely.

I doubt that a year from now WC-CDROM will see enough demand to justify
keeping a "Classic" 2.2.8-STABLE snapshot CD set around, although they
might if demand justifies it.

On the other hand, they are producing the "Toolkit" series, which may
contain all of this?  Sorry, I haven't had time to evaluate it.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
jerry.hicks@bellsouth.net