Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:19:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Murphey <rich@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        licia@o-o.org
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smp and clustering

>Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:06:41 -0600 (CST)
>From: Licia <licia@o-o.org>
>

>I'm becoming interested in the concept of clustering computers (at least
>I believe that's the term for what I'm interested in :) ) and I was wondering
>if someone could advise me as to the feasibility of modifying the SMP system
>in FreeBSD to support sharing processors and memory with a completely separate
>computer, over a high speed ethernet connection?

As far as I know there aren't any readily available
ports of shared distributed memory systems (DSMs) for a
current release of FreeBSD.  I'd be interested in them
as well if there are.

You might want to look at the Zounds DSM by Ron
Minnich.  It hasn't been ported to a recent release as
far as I know though.  There's also DIPC (distribured
IPC) that supports distributed semaphores and shared
memory, but I havne't seen a port of it either.

On the other hand, setting up parallel distributed
memory applications is relatively easy if you use PVM
and/or MPICH which are both in the ports collection.

Rich