Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:01:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sysctl oids (was: Re: kvm question)

<<On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:11:12 -0800, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> said:

> Backwards compatibility is one thing, but new nodes should be named,
> not numbered.  OID_AUTO is bogus because it perpetuates the numbering
> of nodes.

Nonsense.  There are plenty of contexts in which a number makes far
more sense than a name -- pretty much anything in any network stack
other than Chaosnet, for example.  If any of us ever make good on the
threat of SNMP integration, having fixed numerical identifiers will be
a requirement.

-GAWollman