Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:25:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginnings of a diskless boot sequence being committed

> :>     Basically this consists of a bit of code in /etc/rc and, later tonight,
> :>     an /etc/rc.diskless script ( a new script ).
> :
> :before you reinvent the wheel, have you looked at my code in
> :http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/diskless981113/
>     I was basically just cleaning up stuff I've been using for several
>     months.

me too :)

>     Your stuff looks quite similar.
>
>     What I propose is that a new kernel sysctl variable be added called
>     'kern.conf_dir' which the kernel initially sets to nothing.

ok, i can only suggest that if you replace the sysctl kern.conf_dir
variable with a shell variable as i did, you can achieve a more
portable result (this also in light of Jordan's idea of having a
2.2S CD being made... putting patches for diskless into some
'xperimnt' directory would be helpful). Other than that, i have no
objections, and i am very glad you raised the issue since i am
using diskless machines a lot!

I haven't seen how you suggest to build&populate the MFS filesystems --
right now i use a rather crude method of putting all the stuff in a tgz
archive on the server and expanding it at runtime on the client. I
haven't solved the problem with passwords (i.e. i just copy the files
from the server. -- this is clearly a security hole, perhaps YP-based
solutions would be much better).

	cheers
	luigi