Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:04:02 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New version of DocBook Handbook for testing

There's a new version of the DocBook handbook for testing, if people are
up to it. See the end of this message to see how to download a copy of
what the outputs currently look like.

1. Install the build tools

   The textproc/docproj port should do the right thing. However, it won't
   spot out of date installations.

   I know it works with the following versions installed;

   dsssl-docbook-modular        1.33
   html                         4.0b
   jade                         1.2
   jadetex                      2.3
   sgmlformat                   1.7
   teTeX                        0.90981113
   tidy                         0.1.98.12

   and their dependencies. If you have problems, *please* check that you've
   got the requesite version, and upgrade and retest, before reporting
   build problems.

   Note that jadetex and teTeX are only required if you want to test the
   PostScript and PDF generation.

2. Download the latest version of doc/en/handbook/* and doc/share/*.
   doc/en/handbook/Makefile should be version 1.11. It also expects
   that the share/ directory is two directories above it in the hierarchy.

   If you're using CVSup, this supfile fragment should do the right thing;

     # Adjust the default to use your closest mirror
     *default host=cvsup.freebsd.org

     *default prefix=/usr
     *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
     *default delete use-rel-suffix compress

     doc-all release=current

3. Checkout a copy of the docs, or, if you're just keeping the most up to
   date copy (as you will if you use the above supfile), change to
   doc/en/handbook, and run make.

     % cd /usr/doc/en/handbook
     % make

   [Yeah, I know it's obvious -- I like to be complete]

4. That should build a copy of the HTML (split) version of the Handbook.
   "tidy" will generate some errors, they're harmless.

5. Experiment with the FORMATS line in the Makefile. They should all work.
   The PostScript and PDF versions run TeX multiple times, the first few
   passes will generate lots of output relating to undefined forward
   references and the like. You can ignore them.

6. Peruse the Makefile, and experiment with things like "make install".
   The Makefile is (IMHO) very well commented, and should be readily
   understandable.

   I'm not a make(1) guru though, so if you see anything glaringly stupid
   in there, let me know. The bottom 2/3rds or thereabouts of this
   Makefile will become /usr/doc/share/mk/bsd.docbook.mk or similar in
   the near future.

If I get positive feedback from these I'll call a Handbook freeze for
the 15th February (I'll have no 'net access between 6th-13th Feb) so there's
no point in doing it before and having to rush things over the next 10 days.

If you just want to see what the output currently looks like, wander over
to <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/handbook/>; and download whatever takes
your fancy.

Alternatively, the /handbook/split/ directory contains the Handbook as a
collection of HTML files which you can check out instead.

Comments welcome.

                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole