Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:59:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/subr_scanf array index of signed char

:>    Actually, it could very well be that I don't.  I didn't want to spend
:>    the time to check to see if the compiler warned on unsigned-char array
:>    indexes.  You can change it back if unsigned char array indexes do not
:>    produce a warning.
:
:Sloppy thinking.  How would you know if you fixed the bug unless you checked
:that you fixed the bug instead of breaking the warning?  The bug was that
:on systems with signed chars, *inp gave negative array indexes if the
:caller passes a format string with negative characters in certain positions.
:There are still lots of related isfoo(*inp) bugs.  All these bugs are more
:serious in the userland.
:
:Bruce

   Oh come on, give me some credit -- I knew I fixed the bug by casting
   it to unsigned char.  But after spending over 8 hours working the
   files over so people compiling the kernel don't get overwhelmed
   with warnings I was getting a bit fermented in the chair.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>