Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:47:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        jjc@videotron.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i have a question

Jason C. Wells wrote,
> On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, jjc wrote:
>
> >How to install FreeBsd on a second hard drive, the first run Windows 95,
> >and the second FreeBsd, if i want not the any boot manager (like boot
> >easy of FreeBsd) but i want two distinct disk. If i want to boot on
> >second drive, i put disk A: and i go to second drive on FreeBsd, else i
> >boot normally on first drive on Windows 95.  THANK to you, writing
> >french or english to answer please.
>
> You cannot put a disk in A: to boot FreeBSD on another disc as far as I
> know. I suppose it could be done, but you might have to hack on it a
> little. Maybe someone else can help you better.
>
> Otherwise you must have a boot manager to have both OSes on the same
> computer. This is really easy to do and it works well for me.

Actually, booting from the floppy should be quite easy to do. You
should get a propmt from the booter and the following help screen,

Usage: bios_drive:interface(unit,partition)kernel_name options
    bios_drive   0, 1, ...
    interface    fd, wd or sd
    unit         0, 1, ...
    partition    a, c, ...
    kernel_name  name of kernel, or ? for list of files in root directory
    options      -a (ask name) -C (cdrom) -c (userconfig) -D (dual consoles)
                 -d (debug early) -g (gdb) -h (serial console) -P (probe kbd)
                 -r (default root) -s (single user) -v (verbose)
Examples:
    1:sd(0,a)mykernel  boot `mykernel' on the first SCSI drive when one IDE
                       drive is present
    1:wd(2,a)          boot from the second (secondary master) IDE drive
    1:sd(0,a)?         list the files in the root directory on the specified
                       drive/unit/partition, and set the default bios_drive,
                       interface, unit and partition
    -cv                boot with the defaults, then run UserConfig to modify
                       hardware parameters (c), and print verbose messages (v)

At this point, you can just identify where to boot from. If you're
booting from a second IDE drive, the second example is probably what
you want.

I /think/ you should be able to get your boot floppy to load that
drive by default by modifying the 'boot.config' file on it, but I am
familiar with the procedure. See 'man 8 boot' for a start on that.