Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:59:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        mike@vee.net (Michael Gratton)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2920?

Michael Gratton wrote...
> Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> >
> > Michael Gratton wrote...

> > > The machine does only have a single IDE drive. The same problem occcurs when
> > > the DAT is disconnected, and it boots just fine without the adapter
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > If I left it long enough, with the driver give up and allow the machine to
> > > boot normally? At least then I could copy the errors from /var/log/messages
> >
> > Another alternative is putting a serial console on the machine.  That would
> > allow you to capture boot messages, kernel printfs, etc.
>
> I ended up just writing it down:
>
> --
> Waiting 15 sec for SCSI devices to settle
> (probe0:ahc0:0:0:0) SCB 0x0 - timed out while idle, LAST PHASE == 0x1,
> SCSISIGI == 0x0
> SEQADDR == 0x188
> STATI(?) == 0x0
> (probe0:ahc0:0:0:0) no longer in timeout status = 34b
> ahc0: issued Channel A Bus Reset. 7SCBS aborted.
> --
>
> It then goes on, the probe number incrementing (eg, probe1:0;1:0) wthis the
> same errors.

That is quite odd.  The timed out while idle message indicates that a
command timed out, and the device didn't respond.

You said that this happens both with *and* without the DAT drive connected?

If that is the case, that means that the driver is getting confused
somehow, and must think that something is responding to selections.  (which
shouldn't be happening, since there is nothing on the bus!!)

I could come up with a theory if it only happened with the DAT drive
installed, but this is strange.  It could be a sequencer bug.  I'll forward
this on to Justin and see what he says...

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com