Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 07:20:25 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drives...

As Don Lewis wrote:

> Our old Exabytes didn't last all that long, either, as I recall.

Neither did ours, btw.  Most of them fell into the habit of never
wanting to give you your tape back some day.

> When used for daily backups, my experience is that QIC-150 drives
> don't last too long, and that's backup up a lot less data that I
> have been archiving with DAT.

Hmm, what kind of QIC-150 drives?  The old Wangteks are built very
cheaply.  OTOH, i didn't have any bad experience (so far) with
Tandberg QIC drives, and there are some three drives (TDC 4222, 2.5 GB
+ compression) around me doing nightly backups for years now.  QIC
media have a good lifetime (unlike DAT), and it's not a problem to use
the very same tape every night for a year or more.  (Two of the three
drives are used in an operatorless environment where it's simply
impossible to change the medium on something like a daily or weekly
basis.  So far, in one of those machines, the backup has already saved
our butt for two dead disks.)

>  I've also had problems with media
> interchange between QIC drives.

Sounds like you've got a broken or worn-out drive.  I've never
experienced this, and my drive can still read any QIC cartridge
around, with some of them being almost ten years old now.

> We're switching over to DLT for backups here at work, but the drive
> and media are really too pricey for home use, and I don't need that
> much capacity.

Just to clarify: i think about the same, and we also use DLT at work.

> 	+ Media cost
>
> I'd guess that 8mm and DAT come in first and second here.

Hmm, not if you consider the short lifetime of a DAT cassette.  OTOH,
i've got a pile of QIC-150 cartridges on a shelf stemming from
software vendors like you mentioned, so they are for free, and they
still serve well enough for small quantities of data.  The TDC 4222 is
probably about 5 years old now, and so far i haven't needed more than
10 of the higher-density (and more expensive) cartridges.

--
cheers, J"org