Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:16:10 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Saunders <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advice on setting up a Vinum volume

On Wednesday,  3 February 1999 at 17:33:06 +1100, John Saunders wrote:
> In nlc.lists.freebsd-questions you wrote:
>> On Tuesday,  2 February 1999 at 11:48:15 -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>>> When you say performance should be acceptable, does that imply that
>>> performance would be better if I didn't use a Vinum striped volume? I
>>> was considering using the striped volume for /usr/obj and /usr/ports.
>
>> I'd expect the performance of a striped volume to be better than for a
>> non-striped volume *for multiple concurrent access*.  What you do on
>> /usr/obj and /usr/ports doesn't normally fit that model.  I wouldn't
>> expect much difference like in this case.
>
> Sustained performance is much better. On my pair of Quantum 6.4GB drives
> they get approx 7MB/s sustained (dd if=/dev/zero of=file bs=262144
> count=1024). With a vinum strip of 256K in size I get sustained
> 12.5MB/s. Running squid on this setup I can watch the load being
> distributed by running (systat -iostat 1)

Interesting.  Which version of FreeBSD is this?  Are you using the
standard vinum, which includes slow debugging aids, or have you
compiled them out?

> although vinum stats show that one drive seems to be used about 20%
> more than the other.

I've noticed this too.  There's no way this can be a vinum problem (in
other words, you should see exactly the same distribution when using
ccd).  I suspect that it's an incompatibility between ufs and the
stripe size.  I suspect that you may end up with all super blocks on
one drive.  It would be interesting to calculate what stripe size
would balance the cylinder groups across the drives.

Greg