Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:01:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Rene de Vries <rene@canyon.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   100baseTX problems with the DE500 ethernet card

Hi,

The DE500 driver seems to have problems switching from 10baseT/UTP to
100baseTX. During boot the card (somehow) switches to 10baseT/UTP (shown on
console as "de0: enabling 10baseT port" and verified by watching the HUP
(switching one of its LEDs off)). When ifconfig 192.168.x.x media 100baseTX is
run the console log shows "de0: enabling 100baseTX port", but the HUP does not
seem to switch back to 100MBits. The same hardware and Win95 seem to work
though. When I disconnect/reconnect the machine and the HUP it works neatly on
100Mbit. (The hup is a cheap Lanpro 10/100, the cabling is Cat5.)

My question is what am I doing wrong, or how can I prevent the 'de' driver to
switch to 10baseT in the first place?

Rene
--
Rene de Vries                    http://www.tcja.nl/~rene; mailto:rene@tcja.nl