Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:45:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        marko@uk.radan.com, licia@o-o.org, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Women in FreeBSD ( was Re: Is there a reseller program?)

> Overtly, no, but issues like race and gender always come up, it's
> a factor of human life.  Race is less apparent than gender in many
> ways; often names boil down to simple categories of "vaguely
> european", "vaguely oriential", and "I have no idea."  If, on the
> other hand, your name is Licia, Laura, or Sue, chances are pretty
> good that most males of european descent are immediately going to
> leap to the conclusion the poster is female.  Depending on who the
> reader is, this will cause them to pay more or less attention to
> the author, be more or less critical of their opinions, and more
> or less patient with them.  All of these also apply to those of a
> different culture.

With respect, I have to say that most of this is baloney.

Classification of people is almost always based on self identification;
this is true in face-to-face forums as well, although some aspects
of self are more evident in face-to-face.

Having come up through bulletin boards from before the late 70's,
I claim there is anonymity on the other end of a wire.

If Sue had been posting from day one under the name "Frank", and had
steered clear of discussions in which rendering oneself as an example
were necessary, you wouldn't be able to make assumptions about "Frank's"
gender.

Not everyone's name falls into sterotypically male or sterotypically
female according to western european tradition.  Hell, my name's
"Terry", I have a sibling named "Tracy", and another sibling whose
middle name is "Lee".  I know many, many people named names like
"Robin", "Jamie", "Tony", "Micky", "Lynn", etc. ...and, yes, "Pat".

This supposed "Sword of Damocles" is two edged.  If a forum is going
to react, as you predict, on the basis of the assumption of gender
and/or race, said assumption itself  based on a moniker, why
then you control that forum utterly, since you are free to pick
whatever moniker you want to map your presented identity (and
therefore the forum's assumptions) onto, to the most benefit to
yourself.

How many of you have ever met "Jordan"?  One of the most public
figures in terms of face-to-face on these lists, but can you tell
me, other than anecdotal information and references to possibly
forged pictures on WWW pages that could have been PhotoShop'ed
from those that came with a new picture fram or wallet, what
"Jordan" looks like?

You have absolutely *no idea* who you are communicating with when
you are on a mailing list, unless they identify themselves.

The only way you can classify these people is if you pull a "Leather
Goddesses of Phobos", where at the start of the adventure game, your
avatar is in a bar and has to go to the restroom.  The game gets its
idea of gender from which one you pick -- because at the other end of
a wire, it can't see you to make the judgement.  So you declare your
guess, and you aren't contradicted, so you assume you now know.

Any classification has only the importance that you attach to it
yourself.  It's not a cultural thing, it's a personal thing.  Bias
of any kind always is, no matter how much someone might want to
blame their culture, their teachers, or their family.

And personal, too, is the bias that causes you assume there will be
a bias.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---