Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:50:57 +1100
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with sending a PR

On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 at 22:56:25 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:

[snip..]

> OK guys, that's it.  I've had enough "get yourself a _proper_
> mailer" advice.  I've done it.  I've installed mutt _and_ I've got
> it to d/l my mail from our mail server at work (which is where all
> my e-mail comes through).  It was even easier than The Book said, I
> didn't need popclient as I just needed to setup some POP stuff in
> ~/.muttrc then type ``G''.  :-)
>
> Now all I've got to do is figure out how to make sendmail send my
> mail (you'll notice from the header that I sent this message with
> Netscape).  I've looked at the manpage, the handbook, FAQ, and The
> Book but they haven't really helped, they seem more to do with
> receiving mail.  Is there a good guide to setting up sendmail to
> _send_ mail using a dial-up connection? Something like the mutt
> manual (/usr/local/share/doc/mutt/manual.html)?

Make sure it's running.  It'll take care of the sending by itself.
Unless you've disabled it, it starts on bootup from /etc/rc.conf.
Look for this part..

sendmail_enable="YES"   # Run the sendmail daemon (or NO).
sendmail_flags="-bd -q15m" # -bd is pretty mandatory.

If it's as above, sendmail should already be running.

There's an article in this month's FreeBSD 'zine issue about using
email with a dial-up account.  Might be a good idea to take a look at
that.  The article can be found at
http://www.freebsdzine.org/features/mail.shtml

There's also an article in the archives about sendmail, although it's
mostly about the anti-spam features.

> One last thing. I still haven't learned all the keystrokes in mutt
> yet and sometimes use the wrong one, e.g. ``f'' to move to the next
> page (as in vi). However as this means ``forward'' I get a ``To: ''
> prompt. How do I cancel it? ESC and Ctrl-D don't work, Ctrl-C does
> but asks ``Exit mutt?'' with ``y'' as the default answer. What is
> the correct key to cancel a command?

When mutt brings up the "To:" prompt, just hit enter without typing
anything.. that works for me.

--
: Jim Mock			| [jim@corp.au.triax.com]	:
: System Administrator		| http://www.triax.com/		: