Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:44:14 -0500
From:      "Scott Rothgaber" <scott@easley.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD as a Router

Good Afternoon...

I'm a BSDI shop, but a WAN card vendor has *strongly* suggested
FreeBSD for my "Super Router" project, as I like to call it. It will
be a rack-mounted PC with 12 PCI slots and will be set up something
like this:

NODE 1 -> WAN A (AT&T PTP T1 for bandwidth)

NODE 2 -> WAN B (T1 to Bell South's FR cloud, used to sell above
                 bandwidth to other FR customers)

NODE 3 -> LAN A (my accesss servers)

NODE 4 -> LAN B (my UNIX boxes)

NODE 5 -> LAN C (hosted UNIX boxes)

Since I've always used an El-Cheapo, works-out-of-the-box router, I
have a *massive* amount of homework to do before I take this project
on. I'll want this new router to perform a lot of advanced magic.

Finally, my question: Where can I find some in-depth documentation on
using FreeBSD for such a project (aside from `man gated'). Please
make suggestions that can be found on the Web, as I'm not running
FreeBSD yet.

Thanks!
Scott

*  Easley Internet Solutions             864.859.2400   *
*  Easley, SC  USA                 (fax) 864.855.5864   *
*  http://www.easley.net                AIM: ExCavSGT   *
*     Mail composed with Microsoft Outlook Express      *
*   or containing HTML will be automatically deleted    *