Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:27:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

In article <4.1.19990208095441.00c43100.kithrup.freebsd.chat@mail.lariat.org> you write:
>>[The GPL] says, "if you've got a piece of software that's got 90%
>>or my code in it and 10% of yours, you can't sell it unless you make the
>>source code available."
>Or ONE LINE of my code in it and all the rest is yours.

And if you can't rewrite that one line (and, frankly, I doubt brett could --
he's demonstrated a huge amount of idiocy), then why the hell should you be
entitled to it?

Listen very carefully:  You are not forced to use any code.  You don't like
it, don't use it.  But if you do use it, you damned well better be willing to
accept the licensing terms the author wants.

And stop your whining.

Net/1 would not have come about had the GPL not already made some inroads.

386BSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD would not have come about had gcc not
existed.

The X Windowing System would not have been pushed to have been freely
available outside of the commercial group had RMS not had such a presence and
influence at MIT.

Without Linux, there would be no commercial interest in supporting any
freely-distributable OS, save of the sorts Walnut Creek has (CD-ROM sales).

And then I see you whiners supporting the hypocrisy that is the "Mozilla Pubilc
License."  Wow.  Must be because there's a company behind it, and not a single
person with a vision and goal that have helped every single person reading
this message.

Oh, and I suggest all of you whiners -- Brett the Idiot in particular -- take
a look at BSDi's commercial success vs. Caldera's or Red Hat's commercial
success.  BSDi took the so-called "free" software, and made it proprietary,
and is languishing.  And yet Caldera and Red Hat, which are using the
apparantly anti-commercial GPL'd code, and are flourishing.

Idiots.