Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:58:55 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regarding tcpdump and plip

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 05:48:22PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

>> I'd really, *really* like to rip out the lpt driver, since its
>> functionality is completely duplicated by the nlpt and lpip drivers,
>> which seem pretty stable now. Keeping the lpt driver will only result
>> in slowing down ppbus development. I don't think ppbus + nlpt + plip
>> is significantly larger than lpt, so size is not an argument. And if
>> we ever want to rip out lpt, we have to rip it out *now* before 3.1 is
>> released, or we'll have a hard time doing it before 4.0 goes -STABLE
>> in a year or two.
>
>This was actually meant to happen a while back, and I should be wearing
>the pointy hat for it.  The last stumbling block was lack of linux-mode
>compatibility in lpip, which was fixed ages ago.
>
>I'm not sure we want to do this so late for 3.1, but it should
>certainly happen in -current and probably shortly following the 3.1
>release.

Yes, I missed this step :( And I should certainly have done this before
the last ppbus/nlpt enhancements (http://www.freebsd.org/~nsouch/ppbus.html).

So, let's do it for -current and wait some feedback before a 3.1 update.

--
nsouch@teaser.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org