Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: bin/10019: Bug in keyinfo and keyinit]

The following reply was made to PR bin/10019; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To: Anto Prijosoesilo <antop@netscape.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: 12 Feb 1999 12:54:27 +0100

 Anto Prijosoesilo <antop@netscape.net> writes:
 > des@flood.ping.uio.no wrote:
 > > You're not supposed to have multiple login names per UID. What do you
 > > expect to achieve by doing that, anyway?
 > FreeBSD is setup with one. uid("root") == uid("toor").

 "toor" is never used. It's meant to be "root with a different shell",
 but why people can't just type "exec /bin/sh" on the command line is
 beyond me.

 > In any case, I figured that since s/key is name based, not uid based, the
 > checks done by keyinfo/keyinit are supposed to follow that.

 Well, that's the least of your problems. Nearly every binary that does
 anything with file permissions etc. will in the best case get confused
 and in the worst case fail.

 DES
 --
 Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no