Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:21:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Dru Nelson <dnelson@redwoodsoft.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates

:> What were the requirements for NASA/Ames?
:>
:>
:
:Replacement for the Convex (chuck && scott) machines, i.e., > 900GB
:reliable standard filesystem that you could then put RASH hooks into
:later. Whether these would be via locally attached disk or via a HIPPI
:network block device ('raw frame' driver) was/in indeterminate.
:
:It's not clear whether anything but NetBSD will be used for these
:machines, but there had been so many hardware related and also possible
:FFS related problems with the MSS3 project that I was allowed to go off
:and search for possible alternatives. Digital Unix/ADVFS as is Solaris/UFS
:and Solaris/SAMFS (LSC's produce) are also candidates, but those are less
:attractive because they're not open source solutions. At any rate, at the
:time I was doing this, I could not demonstrate FreeBSD/FFS to be a
:superior combo than NetBSD/FFS, hence the term 'loss'.
:
:-matt

    If you need absolute reliability, I would seriously consider a NetApp.
    I'd choose that over everything - solaris, irix, *bsd, linux, NT.  You
    name it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>