Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:23:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        perlsta <bright@cygnus.rush.net>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm_page_zero_fill

:> > This sounds sort of lame, but have you any spare DMA processors to do your
:> > dirty work for you?
:>
:> I'm DMA'ing everything that I can practically DMA, but I believe my problem
:> is running out of bandwidth, not CPU at this point.
:
:I meant DMA'ing zero's into pages, but if you don't think that it's CPU
:then this may not help.

    If his problem is memory bandwidth, DMA won't help.

    If this is a turnkey application then there shouldn't be a page zeroing
    problem at all unless the application requires programs to be exec'd
    all over the place ( like a couple of times a second or worse ).  If
    the application does not require a lot of program execing, then there
    are plenty of ways to mitigate the zeroing - in fact, the standard
    malloc()/free() already does it within the life of a process.

						-Matt