Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:26:28 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: savecore before swapon?

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 08:26:00AM -0700, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> I havn't checked the source, but from my understanding shouldn't
> savecore be run before swapon is run, incase the swap device is the
> dump device?  Or to look at it another way, when swapon is run on a
> swap device, does it look first to see if there is a dump in it, and
> if so what does it do?  Right now we run swapon, then considerably
> later we run savecore.  Assuming swapon just trashes whatever was in
> that device, running savecore is pretty much irrelevant, as most
> people I know (not necessarily in FreeBSD) use their swap device as a
> dump point.

This is done intentionally, as fsck may in some cases require swap
to be able to fsck large filesystems.

It would make sense to have a sysctl
'only_swap_as_absolutely_last_resort_not_for_performance' AKA
'do_linux_swapping_scheme' which was set before the swapon, and unset
after the crashdump.  I don't know how to implement this.  (It might
be that one of the present sysctls does something like this - I've not
checked).

Eivind.