Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:53:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        preeper@cts.com (Jerry Preeper)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: quota questions

Jerry Preeper wrote,
> I have quotas enabled on my web server and started playing around with some
> of the information as I have started to get to less than 1GB free on the
> hard drive in order to start cleaning some stuff up off the server that's
> not needed.

Now I'm not one to accuse someone of being too cautious, but you're
worried about having less than 1 GB on a 4.5 GB drive? That's 22.2% of
your total space.

> 1) With a 4.5GB hard drive, and say 150 users, what would happen if the
> total amount of quotas set exceeds the size of the hard drive, even if
> there is still free space available on the drive?

Nothing.

> Does it matter?

Not unless your users start to fill it up.

> For
> example, right now (from repquota -a) I have soft quotas totalling 4062400
> and hard quotas totalling 4382800, but the file system from df -i shows
> 4168505 in 1k blocks.

The -i option shows the number of inodes that are free... Is that
really a concern? Those numbers seem reasonable. If a huge portion of
your users decided to fill up to the hard limit at once, you could
potentially fill the disk. However, only you can weigh the likelyhood
of that occuring versus the added advantage the users get by having a
little more breathing space between the hard and soft limit.

> 2) Should the sum of all the block limits used by users in repquota -a
> (shows 2887728) be equal to the number of blocks used (1K blocks) in a df
> -i output (shows 2871052)?    What would the difference be?

Do the system users (root, bin mainly) have quotas? Do users without
quotas show in the totals? (I'm really asking, I dunno.) That's about
16 MB. Is there one (or a few) normal user who got left off a list
somewhere?

> TIA for any assistance.

Glad to help. I'd like to hear anyone's experience with quotas. They
are marked as broken in 2.2.x, but I'm thinking of installing them any
way on a mailserver to keeps some problems I've had from reoccuring.