Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:37:30 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quake2 and UDP recvspace

I'm runing Quake2 on FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE as a dedicated server.
Quake2 with many players basically slams the UDP layer of my
machine, for those of you who don't already know. :)

Netstat -s reports:

udp:
        110301027 datagrams received
        0 with incomplete header
        30 with bad data length field
        1377 with bad checksum
>>        29882 dropped due to no socket
        651167 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
>>        15494 dropped due to full socket buffers
        0 not for hashed pcb
        109603077 delivered
        36475854 datagrams output

Now I have my sysctl variables set up like so:

net.inet.udp.checksum: 1
net.inet.udp.maxdgram: 9216
net.inet.udp.recvspace: 246723

Note that the recvspace is basically as big as I can make it.  I
noticed a decrease in the "dropped due to full socket buffers" when I
increased the recvspace from the default 16K value.

I know that the max value is in the kernel somewhere. My questions
are "where?" and "what will this screw up if I change it?".
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org
Keep Usenet Free -  http://www.jetcafe.org/~dave/usenet

For hatred can never put an end to hatred, love alone can. This is an
unalterable law.                                      -The Dhammapada