Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:19:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata ata-all.c ata-all.h ata-disk.c ata-disk.h atapi-all.c atapi-all.h atapi-cd.c atapi-cd.h atapi-tape.c atapi-tape.h src/sys/i386/conf LINT files.i386

sos         1999/03/01 13:19:20 PST

  Modified files:
    sys/i386/conf        LINT files.i386
  Added files:
    sys/dev/ata          ata-all.c ata-all.h ata-disk.c ata-disk.h
                         atapi-all.c atapi-all.h atapi-cd.c
                         atapi-cd.h atapi-tape.c atapi-tape.h
  Log:
  Finally!!

  The much roumored replacement for our current IDE/ATA/ATAPI is
  materialising in the CVS repositories around the globe.

  So what does this bring us:

  A new reengineered ATA/ATAPI subsystem, that tries to overcome
  most of the deficiencies with the current drivers.

  It supports PCI as well as ISA devices without all the hackery
  in ide_pci.c to make PCI devices look like ISA counterparts.

  It doesn't have the excessive wait problem on probe, in fact you
  shouldn't notice any delay when your devices are getting probed.

  Probing and attaching of devices are postponed until interrupts
  are enabled (well almost, not finished yet for disks), making
  things alot cleaner.

  Improved performance, although DMA support is still WIP and not
  in this pre alpha release, worldstone is faster with the new
  driver compared to the old even with DMA.

  So what does it take away:

  There is NO support for old MFM/RLL/ESDI disks.
  There is NO support for bad144, if your disk is bad, ditch it, it has
  already outgrown its internal spare sectors, and is dying.

  For you to try this out, you will have to modify your kernel config
  file to use the "ata" controller instead of all wdc? entries.

  example:

  # for a PCI only system (most modern machines)
  controller 	ata0
  device		atadisk0	# ATA disks
  device		atapicd0	# ATAPI CDROM's
  device		atapist0	# ATAPI tapes

  #You should add the following on ISA systems:
  controller	ata1	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
  controller	ata2	at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15

  You can leave it all in there, the system knows how to manage.

  For now this driver reuses the device entries from the old system
  (that will probably change later), but remember that disks are
  now numbered in the sequence they are found (like the SCSI system)
  not as absolute positions as the old system.

  Although I have tested this on all the systems I can get my hands on,
  there might very well be gremlins in there, so use AT YOU OWN RISK!!
  This is still WIP, so there are lots of rough edges and unfinished
  things in there, and what I have in my lab might look very different
  from whats in CVS at any given time. So please have all eventual
  changes go through me, or chances are they just dissapears...

  I would very much like to hear from you, both good and bad news
  are very welcome.

  Enjoy!!

  -Søren

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.561     +19 -1     src/sys/i386/conf/LINT
  1.224     +6 -1      src/sys/i386/conf/files.i386