Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:01:32 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: recommended VESA compliant cards for fbsd?

>Once again, thank you.  May I ask which cards you would recommend?  I am
>looking to kick this thing into TrueColor RGB mode.

Sorry, I don't have any recommendation.

In the VESA specification, video cards are not required to support any
particular video modes.  It is entirely up to the vendor to decide
which video modes to support.  We have to find out which mode is
supported on which card.  I don't have the list of supported video
modes in each and every modern VGA card.  (If there exists such a
list, I would be most interested, though.)

The current situation is "If the VESA BIOS Extension of your card does
not support the video mode you want, bad luck."  Oh, well...

I personally use Millennium, which supports VBE 2.0, to test the vesa
module.  But, it doesn't mean that I find that this card is in any way
better than the others regarding the VESA BIOS support.  It is that
this card just happens to be in my box...  I used to have a no-name,
S3-968 based card with VBE 1.2, and it worked well too.

>Even normal VGA stuff
>tends to flake out, as the new cards don't seem to support VGA fully now
>that they support VESA.

I don't know if the VBE support is the reason why a vendor no longer
bothers to provide full support for all standard VGA modes.  If the
vendor is only interested in W*ndows market, I suspect they may decide
to drop support for VBE as well as the standard VGA support, entirely
or partially, and provide a W*ndows driver only.

Kazu