Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:08:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        cc@137.org (Chris Csanady)
Cc:        darrylo@sr.hp.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI disk oddities and Buslogic problems..

Chris Csanady wrote...

> Well, therein lies the problem.  When I disable disconnection on these drives,
> the performance is just as advertised.  So, does it mean that the problem
> is likely driver related?

No, it doesn't.  Try disabling tagged queueing for that disk and see what
happens.  (set the DQue bit on mode page 10 to 1 and reboot)

Disabling disconnection effectively disables tagged queueing, I think.  It
means that the disk stays on the bus until a transaction is complete.  It
also means that no other disk will be able to get on the bus at the same
time.

I'm still confounded that you're having performance problems with that
drive, when I've got > 100 of them and they perform just fine with tagged
queueing and disconnection turned on.

I would say that it's possible that you've got a bad firmware rev, but
Steinar Haug has the same firmware rev, and gets good performance.

It might also be worth running those disks on an Ultra-2 bus.  Steinar
Haug's disk is on an LVD bus.  [long shot]  It could be that the
differential firmware for that drive has trouble running on a single ended
bus.  (All of the drives I have are single ended.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com