Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:44:29 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error messages from bt driver

>Thanks for the reply Justin.
>
>I tried 5.06I from the Mylex site, but no improvement. Same error
>messages show up. Any thoughts on other things I can check?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Chuck

One thing I don't know about on the MultiMasters is how they deal
with a disk returning queue full status.  Your Seagate will only
handle 64 commands at a time, but we've queued up 191 to the
Buslogic.  Perhaps it will not release the mailbox for a transaction
that is in the queue full state?  This would cause the first error
message to occur.  My guess is that a quirk entry in sys/cam/cam_xpt.c
limiting the number of tags for your drive to 64 will prevent the
problem from happening.

I'll also contact Mylex to see if they can give me any more information
about how their controllers react.  It's really a shame that they don't
report queue full status back up to the driver so that we can be smarter
about limiting the number of commands we send.  RAID arrays can really
make use of the extra tags, so I'd rather not place an artificial limit
on them.

--
Justin