Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:26:25 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oddity in name resolution

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 09:23 AM 3/18/99 -0800, Dan Busarow wrote:
>
>> With bind8 you can control this, someone may have tightened it
>> up as the default allows these names through.
>
> Is there a way to do this with the default BIND that comes with FreeBSD?

Telling us which version of FreeBSD would be a good idea, since recent
versions of FreeBSD do have bind8 as standard. I'm not sure what the
definition of "recent" is though, you can check yourself if you like,
but 3.1-stable has bind8.

The real answer, of course, is to ask the people who have underscores in
their hostnames to fix their broken DNS, since as you say, underscores
are not allowed in hostnames.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk