Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:09:20 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        aturoff@isinet.com
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Zippy <seth@interport.net>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft (was: Netscape browser)

On Thursday, 18 March 1999 at 20:34:28 -0500, Adam Turoff wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, 18 March 1999 at 15:56:12 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
>>> Funny: Bill Gates recently mentioned FreeBSD by name in an interview, but
>>> not Linux.
>>
>> Details?
>
> If you search lwn.net 6-10 weeks ago, you'll find a better version
> of this reference.
>
> Basically, billg was interviewed by ix in Germany, back when they
> were beating the 'sure we have competition -- look at Linux' drum.
>
> Same context.  Except that billg said FreeBSD instead of Linux.

Ah yes, I remember that well.  I was the person who posted the
message.

Bill *did* mention Linux.  But in his usual evasive fashion, only when
they were talking about something else.  When they talked about Linux,
he replied about FreeBSD.  I see this more as an indication of his
evasive style than anything about Linux or FreeBSD.

> The microsoft-ologists came to the conclusion that this is an example
> of microsoft's internal compliance department (or marketing, or PR,
> or somesuch) at work.  The story goes that there is an internal gestapo
> that fines anyone who talks to the press and mentions a term/competitor
> by name if that term/competitor is on the internal blacklist.
>
> The mention of FreeBSD was thought to mean that Linux made it onto
> the blacklist, but billg had a prepared speech, so he s/Linux/FreeBSD/g;
> to avoid paying the fine.

Yes.  This, too, was mentioned, and I sent out a more detailed
explanation refuting it.

Greg