Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:00:28 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.conf issues: host identity vs host config

> I think some very basic information identifying a host should be kept
> in its own place:
>
>    host name and ip address for each network interface
>
> And I like the way SunOS does it:  The file hostname.<if> contains the
> machine's host name, where <if> is the name of the network interface.

In /etc/rc.conf have the typical

    network_interfaces="lo0 fxp0"

line, but don't have a

    ifconfig_fxp0="...."

this will cause ``/etc/rc.network'' to run this code:

    # Set up all the network interfaces, calling startup scripts if needed
    for ifn in ${network_interfaces}; do
	    if [ -e /etc/start_if.${ifn} ]; then
		    . /etc/start_if.${ifn}
	    fi

This is how DHCP users run ``/sbin/dhclient''.  So in
``/etc/start_if.fxp0'' you can place  ``hostname foo.bar.com'' along with
a ``ifconfig fxp0'' line.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)