Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:41:22 -0800
From:      Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc.conf issues: host identity vs host config

The current rc.conf system doesn't seem to allow for separating out host
identity from host configuration.  As a result I'm not able to create a
site-wide rc.conf file and rdist it to multiple machines, configured
identically except for having distinct own host names.  I think some
very basic information identifying a host should be kept in its own
place:

   host name and ip address for each network interface

And I like the way SunOS does it:  The file hostname.<if> contains the
machine's host name, where <if> is the name of the network interface.
E.g., if the only network interface is le0, the file hostname.le0
contains the host name.  With multiple network interfaces you would have
a distinct hostname.<if> file for each one.

Now you can rdist /etc/hosts containing all host names and IP addresses.
At boot time we get the host name from hostname.<if>, look up the host
name in /etc/hosts, and get our IP address.  And non-default netmasks
are listed in /etc/netmasks, which can also be propagated via rdist.

To reassign IP addresses, simply rdist a new copy of /etc/hosts and
reboot all machines.

Rahul