Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:11:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@synx.com>
To:        cmetz@inner.net
Cc:        mike@sentex.net, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

On 27 Mar, Craig Metz wrote:
>   If the original poster was thinking about using FreeBSD-based commodity PCs
> for small-to-midrange routers in an environment where cost/flexibility is
> important and it doesn't have to deliver every last bit of line capacity, then
> it might be a great choice. Research networks (e.g., vBNS and CAIRN) are

ie: http://www.iprg.nokia.com/products/ip400/

The 'IP440' is a PC-based, FreeBSD operated router. Although, they
don't advertise it but in their press releases. (Thanks to Malartre for
this link :
http://www.lmi.fr/c12565ef002d29ae/996ef68a9fd10db3c125669e00311b6a/129d72353914ed45c125669c0028b1c6?OpenDocument
(Sorry, once again in French).

Anyway, the IP440 casing is horrible. This leads to another question :
I'm looking for a box designer, owning Gerbers, able to build a 1U,
19inch rackable PC-based system. Hints ?

> time), but that might not be really necessary, and the difference in cost might
> really be worth it.

Hum... not for Nokia... prices start at 15 K$ for the IP440 !!

RN.
IaM