Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:57:55 -0800
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        "'Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RE: AIX going BSD

> From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
> Date: 1999-03-31 08:46:37 -0800
>. ....
> > > commercial UNICES are secretly floating on 4.4BSD UNIX -
> > > The OS that God runs on his PDP/11 up in Heaven.  No
> > > wonder they won't free up their source code.  It'd be too
> > > embarassing.
> >        AIX has always had strong BSD support, from Version 1 on.
> > They've never hidden it, and in fact, the documentation generally
> > points out where compatibility is is good or bad.  Certainly the
> > header files from BSD have always been there, particularly for
> > networking...
> >        Can't speak for all commercial unices, but I'd hazzard a
> > guess that Solaris and SCO aren't exactly 4.4 BSD.
> >
> Actually, it's the other way around... 4.4 BSD swiped a tremendous
amount
> from SunOS 4.X... including the specfs bugs which I fixed in
4.0.3c which
> I then saw show up again in OSF/1 (which derived it's BSD impl from
> early 4.4).
         Do you mean SunOS 5.x?  I think Solaris 2 == SunOS 5 (not
counting Solaris 7, of course :-}).  Also, I wouldn't be surprised
that OSF/1 incorporated some 4.4 stuff, but it really does predate
4.4BSD.

Cheers,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large *
Institute for General Semantics       |
Manager, CoreOS Networking            |   Men are from Earth.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  |   Women are from Earth.
2 Infinite Loop                       |       Deal with it.
Cupertino, CA 95014                   |