Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:39:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org, Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Installation Guide Project [Was: Re: FreeBSD Adovcacy]

On Monday,  5 April 1999 at 15:58:55 +1200, Dan Langille wrote:

>>> I plan on soliciting for volunteers in -newbies.  I just want to have
>>> some kind of a webpage up for them to read before waving the Uncle Sam
>>> posters.
>>
>> It seems fashionable at the moment to believe that newbies can do
>> things that experienced people can't, simply because they're closer to the
>> problem.  I have yet to see a really successful document come out of this
>> approach.  I've found it a lot easier to let experienced people write the
>> documentation and have newbies review it to death.
>
> But that's what is proposed.  Letting newbies review it.

Ah, then I misunderstood.

> As for successful documents, and this is tongue in cheek for the
> humourless, some people, myself included, consider my website a
> success.  And whilst I am a newbie with respect to FreeBSD, I'm not
> new to the computer field.  I think it's horses for courses.

Yes, I agree, your web site is a success.  But it's not exactly
documentation, at least not the way I understand that Darren wants to
do it.

> I'm all for experienced people writing documents.  But, clearly,
> nobody has stepped forward before this IGP was started.  Otherwise,
> we'd already have the IG.

Right.  I had intended to overhaul exactly this part of the handbook,
but beyond writing a "what to download" section for review far too
long ago now (http://www.lemis.com/handbook/what-to-download.html), I
haven't done anything.  As I said before, I'm not discussing whether
it should be done, just how.

Greg