Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 13:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: EGCS optimizations

:I doubt that that sort of benchmark is going to say an awful lot about the
:performance of the optimisation levels since compiling /usr/sr/usr.sbin is
:going to be affected by disk i/o performance far more than it would be by
:cpu performance. The relative speed differences of the different egcs/libc
:binaries is probably smoothed out by the i/o affects which is why the times
:look so similar.
:
:Something that is more cpu bound would be a better benchmark for comparing
:the optimisation options.
:
:
:Paul.

    That test was 100% cpu bound.  There was no ( significant ) I/O.  I ran
    it a few times to build the cache before timing it.

    It's no big deal, really.  I think the EGCS bandwagon is going to continue
    to move forward and PGCS runs on top of it, so moving to EGCS puts FreeBSD
    in a better position in the long term.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>