Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 00:24:42 +0100
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: Read this...]

> > Hey, at least it's generating traffic. That's been the only post in here for
> > months! :P
>
> I think of it as the freebsd-sparc keep alive packet.  ;^)

Oh, well... Let's discuss about kernel. 8)

Actually I don't know which is the best version to start experiments
with...

The 3.1 version could be a good candidate, but I have seen a 4.0 version
in the -current tree...

I have read the README in the 4.0 current to see what's new and what's
not. Changed the compiler from gcc to egcs, so we can start "officially"
developing with egcs. ;)
Changed swap code, but I could be only C code ( I hope it is verry
portable...)
Added some hardware support.
But, I don't know if 3.1 is a good investment. Will be the 3.X branch
alive when (and if) the sparc port will be usable?

I don't know. 8(

Personally I think 4.0 is too young. So 3.1 could be a very interesting
investment.

About material I have buyed or ordered to start developing. I have a
sparc box. It's a "private effort", so I can do every type of
experiments. I have just received the Sun books (sparc assembly V9
manual  and Panic) so I have started reading in my spare time ;)

Now I have a more clear idea of Sun hardware. How it works, the
philosophy, and so on....

P.S. I hope this message will not generate another "keep-alive packet"
Sorry it's my ISP 8(

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _