Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 00:47:28 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>, Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DoS from local users (fwd)

On Sat, Apr 10, 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :Sun has a product for this, Solaris Resource Manager.
>
>     ... and if one user is *supposed* to be running all those processes, then
>     what?  Oh, let me guess:  Now you are supposed to tune each user's account
>     independantly.  For a system with general user accounts, this is a burden
>     on the sysop.

   You don't need to tune user accounts, you need only put the
users in a separate login class (if that hasn't already been
done) and modify the resource limitation for that login
restriction.

>     If one can't control one's users, one has no business managing them.  The
>     last thing FreeBSD needs is some overly complex, sophisticated scheduler
>     designed to help bozo sysops stay on their feet.

   I agree with you very much here.  Public shell systems are a
bad idea.  In my opinion, you should trust someone before you
allow them to have an account on your system.

--
Chris Costello                                <chris@calldei.com>

Computers talk to each other worse than their designers do.