Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:54:18 -0400
From:      Rajit Manohar <rajit@csl.cornell.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poink and freebsd

Hi all,

I just tested poink on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE, and the machine has a
minor problem and then recovers. As people pointed out, arp is arp and
it really shouldn't hose systems much. I haven't tried out extensive
tests yet... maybe later in the evening when I have more time. :)

Here's my log file:

Apr 19 14:39:32 <foo> last message repeated 16 times
Apr 19 14:39:32 <foo> /kernel:
Apr 19 14:39:32 <foo> last message repeated 2 times

ip addr :) )

The next thing that happened was that ypbind complained for a bit (NIS
server not responding) and amd was unhappy. The machine always
responded to pings, but my home directory disappeared temporarily.  In
about a minute, everything returned to normal (AFAIK).  I'd guess that
a repeated-poink, or a poink of an nfs server would be a more serious
problem.

-Rajit