Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:55:47 +0900
From:      Tomoaki NISHIYAMA <tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP!!!! Important instructions for -current users!

From: Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:59:03 -0700 (PDT)

julian> from my understanding, the biggest difference is that New-bus
julian> is being designed to eventually delegate 'config' to a very minor role
julian> where newconfig (as it's name suggests' maintains 'config' a s a major
julian> component.
You should not forget that newconfig is a different thing from the
old config. It will remove the illness of the old config.

julian>  It has been a long standing goal of FreeBSD to make the system
julian> as dynamic as possible. My personal goal is to see it more dynamically
julian> configurable than NT with all it's DLLs.
By now, newconfig people decided to continue its development
until its dynamic configuration stuff works under FreeBSD,
despite the decision to merge newbus into the main CVS repository

You can see the implementation of dynamic configuration under
newconfig, which means that you have one more chance to
integrate newconfig stuff.  I hope you have the flexibility
to think seriously the integration of newconfig.

Currently proposed schedule is
on April 21 import sys4c990410
syncing and test
around April 28 import PRE_NEWBUS

Achievement is now announced in newconfig mailing list
(newconfig@jp.freebsd.org, controlled by majordomo@jp.freebsd.org).
Although most discussion are done in Japanese in newconfig-jp
mailing list but any comment, suggestion, or question in
English to newconfig@jp.freebsd.org will be appreciated.

To make the communication more close, it is possible to post
the achievements and plans to hackers or current. Do you think
this appropriate?
--------
Tomoaki Nishiyama
  e-mail:tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
         Department of Biological Sciences,
Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo