Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 01:12:52 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        maulwurf@subloch.medicusnet.de (Stefan Huerter)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: i/o error with larger QIC

On Sunday, 18th April 1999, Stefan Huerter wrote:

>> Do you remember what blocksize you *wrote* these tapes with? If you
>> do, set the blocksize for the drive fixed  at that size and try
>> read with the tar command (setting to the blocksize you used to
>> write the tape). I really wish I had manuals for this drive so I
>> could try and figure what they're trying to do.
>
>I made a few tests before I get this tip from Joerg, so I tried to use tar
>with the blocksize of 10240bytes, but this won't work. I get only I/O
>errors...

"10240bytes"?

Do you mean 1024 bytes?  If 'mt blocksize 0' doesn't work, then using
'mt blocksize 1024' should work.  The normal block size for these tapes
is 1024 bytes.  It's really silly to use anything else for QIC525.  But
the current tape driver doesn't know that... yet.

Stephen.

PS My magic method of getting my TDC4200 to write over old tapes is
to set the blocksize to 1024, then use 'mt density 0'.  Works a treat!