Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:23:46 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support (please don't)

> Also note that all userland programs (with the exception of dosemu)
> are command line driven.  Running them by clicking on them in X will
> most likely do nothing.  This doesn't belong in the base system,
> instead it's a standard should be proposed to the GNOME, KDE and other
> windowing systems people.

A resource fork can be useful to help application developers targeting
multiple OS's.  Each OS seems to have its own special rules about where
supplemental static data should be stored.

Often a vendor will shrug the burden and offer support for only one or
two OS's.  Having a resource fork within executable images might help
make multiple target support more manageable for ISV types.

It would not be an error to have a null resource fork...

The concept isn't necessarily limited to GUI applications and has been
successfully used by OS/2, Macs and Windows among others.  I'm not aware
of anything similar for any Unix but ELF seems to open the door for
interesting possibilities there too.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net