Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:46:09 +0200
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QIC tape problems on -stable (was: hanging `tar xfvR /dev/nrst0' process, can i debug it?)

As Matthew Jacob wrote:

> That said, try this patch:

This works, except

> ***************
> *** 2739,2745 ****
>   	if (error != 0 && error != EACCES)
>   		return (error);
>
> - 	softc = (struct sa_softc *)periph->softc;
>   	ccb = cam_periph_getccb(periph, 1);
>
>   	scsi_read_position(&ccb->csio, 1, sadone, MSG_SIMPLE_Q_TAG,
> --- 2742,2747 ----

...this hunk failed to patch (and manually patching it this way
yielded a `softc might be used unitiniatilized' warning, so i figure
your source was a little different).

Well, there are still some superfluous WRITE FILEMARKS, nevertheless.
I played a little with `mt rdhpos' and `mt sethpos', and it seems the
`set' operations make the driver think anything had been written, so
it's also issuing the WRITE FILEMARKS command.  This doesn't seem to
write any filemarks, indeed, as long as it happens after BOT, _but_
issuing an `mt sethpos 1' _at_ BOT still erases the tape then...  Is
there any reason why the driver sets the SA_FLAG_TAPE_WRITTEN flag for
just the `mt set*pos' operation?

--
cheers, J"org