Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:55:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        adrian@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any action on PR 10570 ? getting closer to 65K :-(

In article <19990429212555.12573.qmail@ewok.creative.net.au>,
 <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> Mike Tancsa writes:
> >
> >I am currently using a couple of FreeBSD boxes for my border routers, and
> >it seems that the global routing table is getting closer and closer to 65K+
> >routes (i.e. sooner than later I am going to bump into PR 10570).  I am not
> >a systems programmer by any stretch of the imagination, so I would not know
> >how to go about debugging anything and everything that would be effected by
> >changing the size from a short to a long.  I guess this PR only effects
> >very few people, so I can understand it not being a priority.  But are
> >there any plans to look at it soon ?
> >
> >wat-border# netstat -nr | wc
> >   59118  355941 4200959
> >

> Hey, that is an interesting pr.
>
> I'd like to tackle this one if noone minds, I have a similar environment
> to debug this one in, but it might take a little time.

Of course nobody minds! :-)

I posted a follow-up, but it went into the black hole of cvs-all.
Briefly, I grepped the source tree and I believe that if you change
the field to an "int" and then do a full make world and kernel
build, it should work just fine.  I recommend using an int rather
than a long because on the Alpha, a long is 64 bits.  (int32_t would
be OK, too.)

John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong