Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:28:55 +0800
From:      adrian@freebsd.org
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, mike@sentex.net, andrewb@demon.net
Subject:   Re: Any action on PR 10570 ? getting closer to 65K :-(

John Polstra writes:
>In article <19990429212555.12573.qmail@ewok.creative.net.au>,
> <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>> Mike Tancsa writes:
>> >
>> >I am currently using a couple of FreeBSD boxes for my border routers, and
>> >it seems that the global routing table is getting closer and closer to 65K+
>> >routes (i.e. sooner than later I am going to bump into PR 10570).  I am not
>> >a systems programmer by any stretch of the imagination, so I would not know
>> >how to go about debugging anything and everything that would be effected by
>> >changing the size from a short to a long.  I guess this PR only effects
>> >very few people, so I can understand it not being a priority.  But are
>> >there any plans to look at it soon ?
>> >
>> >wat-border# netstat -nr | wc
>> >   59118  355941 4200959
>> >

>> Hey, that is an interesting pr.
>>
>> I'd like to tackle this one if noone minds, I have a similar environment
>> to debug this one in, but it might take a little time.
>
>Of course nobody minds! :-)
>
>I posted a follow-up, but it went into the black hole of cvs-all.
>Briefly, I grepped the source tree and I believe that if you change
>the field to an "int" and then do a full make world and kernel
>build, it should work just fine.  I recommend using an int rather
>than a long because on the Alpha, a long is 64 bits.  (int32_t would
>be OK, too.)

Yup. I checked the source tree for ifa_refcnt and IFAFREE, and including
a couple of man page references, all the code plays with ifa_refcnt
directly without assigning it to variables and vice versa.

I'll submit a followup to the pr, and a patch after I've verified it
doesn't panic the system, but that will be sometime early next week
(I can't setup a BGP connection to flood routes in and out before then..)

(I've CC:ed the original pr poster, although I'm not entirely sure if the same
holds for OpenBSDs source tree..)

Adrian

Adrian