Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 12:48:52 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IBM's Via Voice

I managed to spent a few more minutes with IBM's Via Voice for
linux and it appears to work on my system. The draw back is that
I don't have a high quality mic right now with me (will have to dig
around in my boxes for one).

Pertinent information about my system:

1  FreeBSD 4.0 current as of a couple of weeks old
2  GUS PnP with Voxware sound driver (full duplex mode)
3 downloaded the following linux rpms:
4. installed  the latest linux_lib port
5  installed rpm2cpio port
6. downloaded the following rpm pacakges
location              what
ftp.redhat.com      libstdc++-2.9.0-12.i386.rpm
www.lesstiff.org    lesstif-0.86.9-linux.tar.gz

  cd /compat/linux
  rpmcpio <rpm package>  |  cpio --extract --make-directories --verbose

7. and of course download ViaVoice from :
   http://www.software.ibm.com/is/voicetype/dev_linux.html
   To install follow the instructions above for linux rpm packages

8. Run the audio setup program:
   /compat/linux/usr/bin/audiog

Caveat : you may have to play with "mixer" to properly adjust your
             microphone input.

	Enjoy

--

 Amancio Hasty