Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 18:27:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Debugging uthreads

Doug Rabson wrote:
> I didn't want to use the address since it might cause confusion if a
> thread was freed and then the memory was re-allocated to create a new
> thread.

Good reason.

> I thought about the versioning but I don't think it will be a problem in
> practice since both uthread and gdb will generally be built by a single
> 'make world'.

But libc_r isn't linked into anything during a 'make world'. It is only
linked to 3rd party applications. So, although libc_r and gdb are in
sync at the end of a 'make world', any statically linked applications
will be out-of-sync (if an internal change has been made to libc_r).
I'm not sure there is an easy solution to this.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137