Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 01:13:17 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
Cc:        graham@a2a00266.ok.bconnected.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APM interface

In message <199905210705.QAA12695@afs.ntc.mita.keio.ac.jp> HOSOKAWA Tatsumi writes:
: >> Specifically, we'd like to support ACPI in a sane manner, which
: >> includes its power management facilities.
:
: Does "support ACPI" means "using ACPI as the abstract layer", or
: "using ACPI as underlying PM system?"

I'd like to see support for all aspects of ACPI, which includes its PM
system, as well as support for various status and informational
functions which are invaluable to properly configuring a system.
Power buttons, status LEDs, LID events, IRQ and I/O port usage of all
builtin devices, and the AML (its p-code like language) are all
addressed by the ACPI spec, and are all things I'd like to be able to
access on my machine.  I've played too many "guess the hardware" games
in the past...

: Perhaps this question is pointless because I'm not familiar with ACPI
: spec, but as far as I remember, ACPI spec is reated not only with
: power mangement hardware/BIOS, but also with OS support for these
: features.

The question is not pointless.  You recollection of the ACPI spec is
correct.  I'm not sure what the best way to produce a working
framework would be, but it is in many ways "like" USB or SCSI.  There
are many different kinds of things that can pass through the ACPI
layer, and some rational thought needs to be given to that layer so
that the full potential of ACPI can be realized.

Warner